Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Veterinary Hospital With a Heart

chester
Chester: Kim's sweet kitty

Making the decision to leave a sick animal at the veterinary hospital is frequently one of the most difficult ones that pet owners have to make. Since both dogs and cats don't fare well being away from home in the first place, having to part, even for a few days from their human companion can cause additional stress on top of their illness.

While most veterinary hospitals invite human companions  to visit their pets daily to booster their spirits and renew their  bonds, when  "visiting hours" are over, it can be quite painful and upsetting for both human and pet to have to bid adieu. It can be heart-wrenching for both.

ziggystardust
Ziggy Stardust: Kim's delightful canine 

While I was browsing one of my favorite pet related websites, Petside.com, I discovered a featured article about a  Veterinary Clinic whose mission is very unique. Located in Westbury, New York, The Center for Specialized Veterinary Care is the "Cat's meow". They sure aren't "putting on the dog" with what they have to offer.

This clinic truly believes that keeping pet owners and their "fur" babies together in a time of major stress is good medicine. They  subscribe to the philosophy that there is a necessity to not only focus on providing superior veterinary care for the ailing pet,  but to also to meet the emotional needs of both pet and its family. They use a holistic approach to treatment to the nth degree.

Their Compassionate Care Center is geared to meet these needs. This is the first time I have ever seen a veterinary clinic of this type, and one to which I give a huge "paws up" for providing this important level of care.

I fervently hope that other veterinary facilities will follow their lead and begin to  provide similar accomodations for their clients.

Would you want to be able to keep your pet company while he or she is hospitalized? Leave a comment and share your thoughts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I used to live not far from where that hospital is located. If I was closer I would be taking my pets there ASAP. Mikey, one of our goldens was hospitalized for five days in critical condition when he was two. Because his heart was involved the vet said not to visit because leaving him again would be too upsetting. It was just horrible.
I so would stay with either of my dogs but again - when you have to leave to shower, eat etc. it would be traumatic for the pet because you can't explain where you are going that you will be back.
It is a fantastic idea though and one that I would take them up on if I was in that situation again.

Vicki said...

I think thisis a great idea. It is hard enough to be away from them for even a day. You know that they are afraid, and not used to being around strange people. Being able to be there with them would be a comfort to both you, and your pet.

Luvbarbaro said...

I got tears reading that -- My Reggie (dog) is not doing well, he has congestive heart failure and now a tumor also. My good friend told me to just drop him at the vet and leave him there - to remove the tumor and check if it's malignant or not. She knows I wouldn't be able to handle it emotionally since I Love him so much. He was diagnosed at 3 with heart disease, so I could prepare a bit, but when you know the time is not very far away, it's so extremely difficult. Hope I'm not depressing anyone, I've tried to focus on everyone else's babies, rather than my own so I don't get upset. I'm really praying hard that he makes it until at least the end of summer or if a miracle were to happen, the end of the year. He'll be 8 in June.

Anyway, anonymous, I agree with you about the coming & leaving bit. I think that is difficult for a dog or cat. I'm sure it depends on the animal's personality though.